Education & Technology Center
Morgan Chew, Education and Career Development Manager
Open Door Education & Technology Center
Open Door Mission’s Education & Technology Center is a critical component in taking the first step to improve your education. All men enrolled in the DoorWay Program are tested using the Texas Adult Basic Education Assessment (TABE) which will be used as a baseline for curriculum selection and tutor placement.
Education Requirements and Commitments:
- All students who test in below fifth grade on reading or math skills are placed with a tutor.
- All men seeking a GED must complete 10 hours of study per week, and are partnered with a tutor to help them succeed.
- All men who have a GED or high school diploma must complete five hours of Refresh education weekly, working on math, language, typing, science, and more.
- Educational retesting is done prior to promotion in the program to chart progress and determine if students are eligible for community college.
- On completion of the program, all students are eligible for application assistance for community education programs, local colleges, and career search.
Currently, we have five volunteers providing services to our students.
Currently, we are seeking individuals with interest and experience in career development and career counseling to volunteer on a regular basis.
If you are interested in volunteering with this department, please contact Katherine Burns at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading “Education Volunteer.”
The Open Door Mission’s Education Department is proud to partner with the following agencies to better serve our students:
- Houston Community College
- TRIO Educational Opportunity Center
- SER Jobs for Progress
- The Marriott Marquis, Houston
- Houston Center for Literacy
- The Jesuit Volunteer Corps
If you are local agency focused on adult education, or are looking to hire individuals who have successfully completed our program, we would love to partner with you! Please contact the Education and Career Development Manager, Morgan Chew at 832-962-4259, or email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
As of May 1st, 2017, Open Door Mission will no longer be offering GED preparation services to community students. We recommend using 211texas.org (or dialing 2-1-1) to locate the GED preparation program that is located closest to you.
Thank you to all community students who have participated in Open Door Mission GED preparation over the years.
We wish you luck on your GED journey,
ODM Education Staff
One morning, Mark woke up…and couldn’t get out of bed. The hospital saved his life, but without being able to work, he soon became homeless. Thank God someone in the hospital told him about the Mission’s Convalescent Care Center.